Below is a summary of recent awards / honors/ news for members of our lab. To view a list of awards and honors for the lab's Director, Dr. Rajesh Rajamani, please follow the link provided below.
December 18, 2021
- Woongsun Jeon received a number of faculty position offers from universities in South Korea and decided to accept an offer from the School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering in Chung-Ang University in Seoul.
December 9, 2021
- Heng Wang's paper “Electromagnetic Position Estimation Using Active Current Control and Nonlinear Observer,” is selected for the Best Paper in Mechatronics Award by the ASME DSCD Technical Committee on Mechatronics. This award is given to the best Mechatronics paper of the year selected from the annual ACC and MECC conferences.
November 22, 2021
- Prof. Rajamani is elected IEEE Fellow for "contributions to estimation and vehicle control in intelligent transportation systems."
August 1, 2021
- Greg Johnson completes his Ph.D. and joins the Advanced Science and Technology Group, 3M Corporation, Saint Paul, Minnesota.
June 30, 2021
- Heng Wang accepts a position as Assistant Professor at the South China University of Science and Technology in Guangzhou, China.
June 3, 2021
- Our laboratory's smart bicycle was featured in an article in IEEE Spectrum. Link.
March 28, 2021
- Prof. Rajamani has been appointed a Senior Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, the flagship journal of the IEEE ITS Society.
March 18, 2021
- Prof. Rajamani will be a Plenary Speaker at the 2021 Modeling, Estimation and Control Conference (MECC) to be held in Austin, Texas, October 24-27, 2021. https://mecc2021.a2c2.org/index.html
December 10, 2020
- Hamid Movahedi is awarded a UMII Fellowship from the University of Minnesota Informatics Institute.
November 17, 2020
- US Patent 10,837,802 B2 titled “Position Sensing System with an Electromagnet” granted to Heng Wang, Rajesh Rajamani and Ryan Madson.
June 24, 2020
- Woongsun’s paper on “Tracking of Vehicle Motion on Highways and Urban Roads Using a Nonlinear Observer” was a finalist for the Best Paper of the Year Award in the journal IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics.
April 20, 2020
- Heng Wang wins the University of Minnesota Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship.
February 3, 2020
- Professor Rajamani was interviewed on Fox 9 TV regarding our lab's smart bicycle technology.
January 30, 2020
- Professor Rajamani was interviewed on NBC Kare-11 TV regarding the use of cruise control on winter roads.
- Greg Johnson was selected for a Fellowship from the University of Minnesota Informatics Institute.
- Woongsun Jeon's PhD thesis received the Second Prize in the annual Best PhD Dissertation Award competition conducted by the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society. The winners were announced during the Awards Ceremony on October 28th at the flagship 2019 IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference in Auckland, New Zealand.
- US Patent 10,260,904 on "Position Sensing System" granted to R. Rajamani and S. Taghvaeeyan.
- Woongsun Jeon's Ph.D. Thesis is nominated for the Best Dissertation Award at the University by the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- US Patent 10,206,621 B2 on "Instrumented Wearable Device for Measurement of Physiological Parameters" granted to S. Zhang, R. Rajamani and B.D. Johnson.
- US Patent 10,144,474 B2 on "Collision detection" granted to R. Rajamani and W. Jeon.
- Corey Cruttenden is awarded the MnDRIVE Neuromodulation Fellowship.
- Woongsun Jeon received the prestigious 2018 Matthew J. Huber Award for excellence in transportation research and education from the Center for Transportation Studies at the University of Minnesota. This award is given to at most one doctoral student on campus each year.
- Woongsun Jeon's research paper on "A Novel Collision Avoidance System for Bicycles" won the first place award for the Best Transportation Systems Paper presented at the 2016 American Control Conference. The award was presented by the ASME DSCD Technical Committee on Automotive and Transportation Systems. The paper was co-authored with Prof. Rajesh Rajamani.
- Innotronics, a start-up company based on technologies developed in our lab and co-founded by lab members, has been selected to be among the "Best University Start Ups of 2016." Only 35 companies in the US were selected for this honor. More information at: http://ncet2.org/.
- Song Zhang receives Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship from the University of Minnesota.
- Mahdi Ahmadi receives Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship from the University of Minnesota.
- Garrett Nelson receives the Outstanding TA award from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Minnesota.
- Shan Hu receives faculty position offers from a number of universities and decides to join Iowa State University.
- Saber Taghvaeeyan's paper on nature-inspired magnetic sensors gets accepted to Technology. Technology is a new high-impact factor journal that aspires to become the equivalent of Science for engineers.
- Garrett Nelson receives the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Research Fellowship. Less than 15% of applicants at the University of Minnesota were chosen to receive this honor.
- Kalpesh Singal's invention of a handheld transducer for measurement of soft tissue tension is featured in the ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Magazine.
- Shan Hu receives Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship from the University of Minnesota.
- Saber Taghvaeeyan receives Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship from the University of Minnesota.
- Kalpesh Singal receives Best Paper of the Session award at the ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference.
- Saber Taghvaeeyan receives Best Paper of the Session award at the ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference.
- Shan Hu's paper on flexible solid-state supercapacitors is selected for the APL 50th Anniversary Editor's Choice Collection. Only 50 papers out of more than 12,000 published in the Applied Physics Letters between 2009-2012 were selected for this honor.
- Krishna Vijayaraghavan accepts tenure track Assistant Professor position at Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada.
- Shan Hu receives Best Speaker of the Session award, Paper FrB16.2, American Control Conference.
- Saber Taghvaeeyan receives Best Speaker of the Session award, Paper FrA12.2, American Control Conference.
- Gridsada Phanomchoeng receives Best Speaker of the Session award, American Control Conference.
- Peng Peng wins Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, University of Minnesota.